Adoption Timeline

Friday, April 6, 2018

Walk this way...

Have you ever just had a strange tug inside to walk a certain way...move a certain direction...take a certain path?  In particular, have you had this stirring inside you...and maybe it made NO sense to the outside world? In fact, it didn't even make sense to you. Your wordly mind could not wrap your mind around why you would move a certain direction or take a certain step, yet you felt an unsettling stirring inside, that if you didn't move, you knew you would NOT be walking in obedience.

That is exactly where we have found ourselves the past year.

First...a call or a nudge to walk towards something that seemed scary and quite honestly impossible.  I look back and still remember how many times I laughed thinking this made no sense, and maybe I was crazy, but I couldn't deny we were to keep taking steps. Baby steps.  One step, led to another, which led to another.  There was no clear vision of what the end result would be, or if we would have our hearts broken in the process.  So we just kept moving.  Following that still quiet voice...all the while, laughing...thinking "this seems crazy and impossible."  I still don't know exactly how this story is going to continue...or what the next chapter will be.  But I can with certainty look back over the past 8 months, and with shock, amazement and if I am being honest fear, I can see that this crazy obedience was nothing short of a miracle in the making. God's plan.  A story only God could orchestrate.  I wish, that, in and of itself would relieve any fears or anxieties I may have. But, I guess I am still working on that.  So, right now, I try to rest in joy and peace knowing that as crazy as it all may seem...it is good..and it is perfect, because it was not my plan, but His.  If it were my plan..well then I would have a whole lot less to sing about....to be confident about.

Then, also over the past year, we have felt a call, or a nudge, to walk away. To walk away for something that to everyone else, would seem normal, acceptable, joyous and good. Something to ME that seemed normal, acceptable, joyous and good. This one was not as easy...and to be honest, I still am sad and mad to lay aside this encumbrance. Because I too, like the world, do not see it as a weight for me. I wanted to avoid the nudging I was feeling...the voice that was saying...walk away. Lay it down.  I still can't wrap my mind around this either. Just like God called us to walk towards one thing and it made no sense...He can also call you to walk away from something. And it may or may not make sense. It may in fact, seem to go against everything you have known and seem completely crazy.  But...He did not promise us that this road we would walk would be easy, in fact, if anything, we are told, the road is narrow. 

"Let us lay aside every encumbrance and sin which so easily entangles us and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1

John Piper said.."Don't just ask, is it a sin? Ask...does it help me to RUN? Does it get in my way when I am trying to become...

More patient
More kind
More gentle
More loving
More holy
More pure
More self-controlled

Does it get in my way, or does it help me to RUN?"

So how is your run? Where is God calling you?  I pray if you are reading this, you know He is calling you to RUN.  And my friends, even if it feels like you are crawling, and not running (which I will admit is where I am at many days lately)...He is right there with you.  Running beside you.  Waiting for you. Maybe even carrying you.

What do you need to say YES to? What do you need to say NO to?  Are you waiting for the "perfect" time?  If so...you may be waiting a while.  Scary things, big things, may never feel like the timing is perfect.  But if that still soft voice is calling...then regardless of what our feeble eyes can see, the timing is now.  Tomorrow is not promised to us.

As for these two scenarios in our life...we will continue to try to walk in obedience...and though it may seem like we are in the middle of the ocean and we cannot see the shore, I have no doubt that each chapter He writes will beautiful in the end. 

To be continued...







No comments:

Post a Comment